Friday, March 25, 2011

THE race

I am trying to decide what big race I want to compete in this year. It gives me a chance to travel and to do something amazing.

My first race was the Big D texas half marathon, my second was the Xterra trail race in san diego. Every race after that has been a mud run. I want to do something great this year.

If you have never done a race you should really consider it. I never thought I would ever do something like a marathon and at the time no one I knew had done or considered one either. That compelled me even more to do a race or something that no one else had done. Let me describe how one of my races went.

Race day in San Diego I lined up with all the other runners. I was in the mountains, my heart was pumping, and my hands were shaking. Was I really fixing to run through mountains through trails when the disclaimer says "we will not be held responsible if attacked by bears, mountain lions, or rattle snakes". Really?? I was scared, but I had done the training, and I flew all that way. The race started and I ran the first four miles on pure adrenaline. Then mile five came this steep hill.. I thought the flyer said flat course? These old people were passing me. Eventually I was dying. My muscle in my legs felt like the were ripping off the bone. There is no way I could have prepared myself for this flat course that were really mountains. Mile 8 I could see no one in front or behind me. A guy asked if I wanted a ride to the finish line. "no I am finishing what I started" I said loudly. Then it started to rain as I was walking through a river. I had an inch of mud on each shoe which made them feel like they weighed ten pounds each. I took my shirt off and started scraping my shoes off with my hands. I had to repeat this routine every 10 minutes. I knew I was last. I called my husband at mile 8.5 balling. I was scared, alone, tired, and every part of my body hurt. He told me to keep going. My knight and shining armor appeared about half a mile from the finish line. He said he loved me and was proud of me. I had just had a baby and had worked so hard towards this goal. I used that last bit of encouragement and crossed the finish line DEAD LAST. I did not care that I was last. I loved the feeling I got crossing the finish line. I did something that I thought I could never do, and even when doing it I thought I might not finish. I still can not remember how much pain I was in, or how long it took me. I do remember the tears I shed, and every emotion I went through that day. I will have those memories forever.

If I can do anything like this after just having a baby I know that everyone I know can do it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment